Saturday, September 29, 2012

Epoch Cycling-The beginning

ep·och[ep-uhk or, especially Brit., ee-pok] noun

the

beginning of a distinctive period in the history of anything: The purchase of my first road bike marked an epoch in my lifetime.



There are some people who are SERIOUS about cycling. I am one of those.  There are some people who know EVERYTHING about cycling.  I am not one of those.  I have, however, always liked to think of myself as a person willing to learn the ins and outs of the things that interest me.  Seems simple enough, right?

In 2007 I decided, after a conversation with my brother, to take on a new hobby....cycling.  He was a fairly serious biker, and imparted me with lots of advice.  I went merrily off to the bike store with the intention of spending a few hundred dollars, and hitting the road.  I soon found it was no that simple!  There are thousands of choices in bikes, frame compositions, shifters, shoes, pedals, bike racks, and, of course water bottles and jerseys!  Suffice to say, I didn't get out of the store for that couple hundred dollars, but what I did buy was fantastic, and life changing.  More on that later!

It's also my intention to talk a bit about the next step in my cycling journey....the completion of my first century ride.  I have set a goal to complete a century ride during this year, which is my 50th.  100 miles for 50 years.  Time is short, as I am registered to ride in the "Cruising in the Country Century" in Claxton, GA in 6 weeks.  Lots to do before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment